Friday 7 January 2011

My Boswell

Link


Dr. Samuel Johnson was a famous English essayist and scholar, and James Boswell was his admirer and companion.

Boswell kept a diary and wrote all about Dr. Johnson.

In Arthur Conan Doyle's books about Sherlock Holmes, Watson is Holmes' companion and to a certin extent, admirer, on many a case and he also writes about Sherlock Holmes' escapades.

In "A Scandal in Bohemia," Watson is at the Baker Street residence and proffers, "I think I had better go, Holmes," and Holmes replies, “Not a bit, Doctor. Stay where you are. I am lost without my Boswell," In comparing him to Boswell, Holmes is giving him a compliment..

I like the name Boswell, it sounds a bit old fashioned to me. I feel a new nickname for my poor beleaguered boyfriend coming on, after all I would be rather lost without him, even if he doesn't write about my escapades hugely admire my crafty dabbling, he does put up with my hairbrained schemes, is always kind and supportive and is my companion through thick and thin (literally: we are on a post new year diet at the moment!!). Anyhow, if he protests at the nickname, I will save it for my imaginary future pet - I like the idea of pets having serious old fashioned names.

Do you have a Boswell?

1 comment:

craftyjemima said...

I love Boswell too. I so plan to call future pets serious old fashioned name. Reg, Ethel, Maude... Love them!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin